Life is what happens when you are making other plans~ John Lennon
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind~Gandhi
The time is always right to do what is right~ Martin Luther King Jr.


Thursday, April 28, 2022

Teachers Reveal Things They Hate About Teaching

It's not all sunshine, rainbows and gum drops in the world of education. It's hard work and dealing with various types of personalities. Teachers reveal things they secretly hate about teaching.

1. Two types of students

-I dislike two types of students.

1.) Those who are mean to other students

2.) Those who refuse to take accountability for their actions

-Those qualities often overlap, but not always

2. Loves teaching, but there is a "but" to this

-Fifth year teaching. I love teaching but I'm tired of the workload, being treated so poorly and having to buy everything. I would [slay] for an alternative career

3. On the subject of bad students...

-I want to help students improve. I know every student has different issues. What frustrates me is when there is no effort. Worse is interrupting the learning of other students. Worse still, is open hostility and disrespect

4. Anything extra

-Yup! It's the "extra" stuff that [eliminates] you. Our district, and actually every school district in my area, is revamping the professional learning community. But it's killing everyone. The interesting part is a goal for our district was to help with teacher burnout, apparently not!

5. Beyond teaching

-What I hate? Monitoring for vapes and illicit [substances], paying attention to warning signs of depression or self-harm, poor nutrition, bullying, homelessness, [taking advantage of others], inappropriate sexual activity and playing bathroom monitor all while making entertaining lessons, exceeding last year's standardized test scores and not exceeding your scheduled hours.

6. After hours OT

-I love working in a school and building relationships with kids, but a lot of parts of teaching were causing me undue amounts of stress. In particular, the insane out-of-school time commitment (grading, planning, fielding parent calls) and the public speaking aspect/classroom management dynamic was causing a HUGE flare-up in my anxiety levels

7. Meetings, gradings, repeat

-I like being a teacher, but I can't stand everything else that comes with it. Grading, meetings, keeping contact with a myriad of families, hours of sifting through sources for the one that works...it's almost too much. Even just navigating social interactions with other teachers feels like a minefield

8. Giving it up

-This is why I left the classroom; Most of my issues were with authority and the feeling that I was "spinning" and not making any progress (professionally and with the kids). I was angry, anxious and felt like what I was doing for most of my day was relatively pointless. The worst part was that I did love teaching, but couldn't deal with the system

9. A rising problem in education today?

-I actually quit my teaching job because I hated [other] teachers and administrators, not the students. I believe in teaching the students and being a role model, not a dictator, which was apparently unpopular, so I had enough and I bounced. That is absolutely the problem with education.

10. Even teachers gossip

-I hated gossip. I must say it's weird how everyone involved is with everyone else. I'm a student teacher and when I went it was for pre-planning I was baffled at how little we all got done because everyone would rather gossip instead

11. Veterans of teaching

-Interacting with other teachers can be a minefield. A lot of the veteran teachers seem to be standoffish with getting to know newbies. EW!

12. Wrong choice of career?

-I love the relationships with everyone, contacting families, even meetings. But actually, teaching makes me want to throw up from anxiety (also, I quit last week)

13. Honesty is the best policy

-I hate all of my students, equally

No comments:

Post a Comment