Life is what happens when you are making other plans~ John Lennon
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind~Gandhi
The time is always right to do what is right~ Martin Luther King Jr.


Monday, February 26, 2024

Glenn Hughes is still embarrassed about 1986 Seventh Star tour with Black Sabbath

The 1986 Black Sabbath album Seventh Star was meant to be a solo album for Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi. The record label it was on wanted the name Black Sabbath on it. As such, Tony brought in his good friend Glenn Hughes to sing on it. Unfortunately, to this day, Glenn is still embarrassed by his behavior during those years.

A lot of people still, to this day, don't know what to make of the 1986 album by Black Sabbath Seventh Star. Tony Iommi insisted it was a solo album. But his label made him put the Black Sabbath name on it. Unfortunately, recording the album got off on the wrong foot to begin with. Tony's good friend Glenn Hughes was basically all but blacklisted from the music world at that point. He was seen as a letdown, a failure. His good friend Tony had a project that he believed Glenn would be perfect for. Unfortunately, Glenn was in the throes of deep drug addiction. The tour supporting the album went well for a period, but then a violent fight started backstage, with Glenn in the middle. He had to be replaced. Tony replaced Glenn with Ray Gillen to finish out the tour. When Hughes looks back on that period, he says, to this day, it still embarrasses him

During an interview with Soundclash, Glenn Hughes had said "The worst and most embarrassing moments for me in my career was when I was with Tony Iommi on those five shows where I had a very bad fight with someone and I had some bones broken in my nose and it consequently stopped me from singing. That was embarrassing for me." Hughes had come to success in the 1970s with three piece band Trapeze, with Mel Galley and future Judas Priest drummer Dave Holland. Then he hit the big time when he joined Deep Purple. He would go on to work with Chad Smith of The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Tony Iommi again. He would have two projects called California Breed and Black Country Communion (which morphed into California Breed). The most important thing is that he got his act together and got sober. He's now more than 25 years clean and sober and working every day to make sure his addiction issues don't rear their ugly head again

"I'm not frightened to dream. I've worked with the greatest, and I'll probably work with some more. I just think that I don't try to think too much about what's coming down the pipeline for me. All I know is that tonight I'm going to have some dinner with my friends. Tomorrow is not here yet. I'm really being serious with that. I don't know what the h--- is going to happen. I just need to get some sleep and the rest is history."

No comments:

Post a Comment