Life is what happens when you are making other plans~ John Lennon
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind~Gandhi
The time is always right to do what is right~ Martin Luther King Jr.


Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Rick Allen breaks silence over assault outside of hotel

Def Leppard drummer Rick Allen is recovering in his hometown of Sheffield, England after being physically assaulted by a 19 year old.

While coming out of a Four Seasons hotel in Florida, a 19 year old named Max Hartley physically assaulted Def Leppard drummer Rick Allen. During an interview on Good Morning America, he said "I heard a couple of steps and then I just saw this [flash] and the next thing I knew I was on the ground. I landed on my backside...hit my head on the pavement."

"I am no threat to you." he said to the 19 year old, who had seemed to appear out of thin and tackled the one armed drummer to the ground. He continued. "I don't think he knew who I was, but he must have seen that I wasn't a threat because, you know, I've only got one arm." He referenced the near fatal car crash from 1984 that took his left arm

Rick Allen was doing nothing more than standing outside the Four Seasons, smoking a cigarette on March 13 when the 19 year old, who'd been seen hiding behind a nearby pole, ran towards Allen and knocked him down. In the resulting fall, Allen hit his head on the pavement, causing injury, according to the Florida police. A female hotel guest came out to try and aid Allen, but Hartley allegedly went after her too. He grabbed her and threw her to the ground before repeatedly hitting her. She was able to get in to the hotel to get help. But Hartley dragged her back outside and continued battering her.

The suspect had fled the area, but was caught not long afterwards. He was charged with two counts of battery and four counts of criminal mischief, where he plead not guilty. Allen's wife Lauren Monroe found out about her husband being assaulted when she was halfway across the country. While on Good Morning America, Lauren said "My heart just completely sank into me. I know the journey of trauma...And so everything stopped in our house and focused on him." Rick Allen is incredibly thankful to have a wife as caring as Lauren. He stated "I immediately just went to that place of feeling grateful for the fact that I have an amazing wife and an incredible family and I just started thanking a higher power for the fact that I'm still here."

After the attack, Allen is focused on recovering and his drumming. He said "I know that I'm not going to be playing music in a band forever. But while I am, I plan on making as many people happy as I possibly can. And this is my time. This is my opportunity."

No comments:

Post a Comment