Life is what happens when you are making other plans~ John Lennon
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind~Gandhi
The time is always right to do what is right~ Martin Luther King Jr.


Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Eric Idle, of Monty Python fame, opens up about his battle with pancreatic cancer

Eric Idle, of Monty Python fame, had recently undergone a battle with pancreatic cancer, but had luckily undergone treatment and also did early detection, which saved his life.

Monty Python actor Eric Idle has recently set up the Bright Side Fund to aid with Stand Up to Cancer to aid in promoting early detection of cancer. Idle hopes that his early detection of pancreatic cancer will inspire others to get themselves checked out. Statistics show that the five year survival rate for people with pancreatic cancer is around 11%, but Idle hopes to change that. "I think we can make a difference. The good news is that we are starting to fight back."

In connection with Stand Up to Cancer, Eric Idle had set up the Bright Side Fund to promote research and early detection. In his interview with People Magazine, he said "They're doing great work. I think if we can spread the word a little and try and raise some money, we can put it in the right direction." He recently appeared on the music television show The Masked Singer. Thanks to early detection, he was able to catch his cancer very early on. "My doctor specializes in preventative medicine, and he makes me go for blood tests every year. He noticed a difference in the markers from the previous year, so he ordered an MRI and asked them to add contrast. That lit up the pancreas, and there it was." He talked about the surgery related to it. "It was a partly robotic five hour surgery. I had a fantastic surgeon...and he cut it all out because it wasn't attached to anything; it was intact. The technicians had never seen it in that state before because they'd never seen it that early. A lot of the research is studying early warning signs."

When Idle had gotten the all clear, he said "I cried. You can resign to whatever fate you're in. You put yourself in the hands of the doctors, and off you go. You keep smiling and whistle and then look on the bright side. And then when they tell you that you're going to survive, I mean, that was quite a moment." The actor gives credit to his wife Tania, son Carey and daughter Lily for their strong love and encouragement. "They rallied around me. We had to move quick, and we did. There was no time to lose." Since the news of his cancer battle came out, there has been an outpouring of love and support from all over. "I wanted to be honest and come out about the cancer and encourage people because this is very good news. I got extraordinary responses from people."

He is looking ahead. "I'm a father, so I really enjoy my kids, and I love seeing them. I don't look very far in advance. I'm a writer, so I tend to get up and start early on whatever problems I've set myself. And that's a good way of avoiding any anxiety. You just spend your time trying to solve them."

No comments:

Post a Comment