Life is what happens when you are making other plans~ John Lennon
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind~Gandhi
The time is always right to do what is right~ Martin Luther King Jr.


Tuesday, August 20, 2024

American Tourists Love Visiting Britain

According to Microsoft channel The Telegraph UK, here are things American tourists love about Britain. Some are completely taken with the beauty of places like the Lake District, the quaint villages, the interesting markets held on weekends and more.

Earlier in the month, a writer named Sara Sherwood wrote an article that said American tourists found the UK "bland" and "barbaric". Complaining about everything, from the "stiff upper lip" mindset to the supposed inability to produce cold water. But asides from the crybabies who complain about this little historic region of the world, there are other Americans who are completely taken with everything this region has to offer.

There is more to the UK than the famous sites of London

-A reader, Graham Kirsch, shared a story of meeting a couple from South Carolina, who were on vacation, or holiday, as it's referred to in the UK. He explained "They had an interest in history and industrial heritage, so were visiting Cromford Mills in Derbyshire. They were knowledgeable, polite, interested and interesting. Plus, they understood that there is much more to the UK than just a few famous sites in London."

I have yet to find any pubs in the US that come close to the average British one

-A reader of Telegraph UK named Jonathan Lloyd states an expansion on the point made by Mr. Kirsch. He said "As an expat and dual citizen who has lived in the US for 45 years, I always tell my American friends to pick a few things they want to see in London, but then get on a train and go two hours in any direction (Bath, Brighton, Norfolk, Oxford) and visit the local area around those places. "As for pubs, I have yet to find any in the US that come close to an average British pub. I can think of five in Hertford that would put most US bars to shame."

Keep doing what you're doing my British friends

-Telegraph UK reader Rich Coo shared how, as an American citizen in his late 30s, the description of Britain being "bland" and "barbaric" "pains him a bit to read". He said "I've been to the UK many, many times for work and holiday. I love the country and have gained some really close friends there. Nothing beats sitting in a proper pub with real ale in hand. Don't change, keep doing what you're doing by British friends."

It saddens me to hear of the rampant illegal immigration

-Jenny Stewart, a reader of Telegraph, states "I am American and, as with most Americans I know, share a heritage with the UK. We love everything-well, nearly everything-about Britain." She goes on to say that it "saddens me to hear of the rampant illegal immigration; the undermining of your churches and culture; the high taxes trying to pay for it all. The United Kingdom is special. Protect it."

Americans go to the UK because they expect it to be different

-Laura McIntyre, a Telegraph reader, is another American citizen who visits the UK on a regular basis. She stated "Americans go to the UK because they expect it to be different than home, so why complain when they find that it is, indeed, different? That's silly."

If folks from the American heartland visited the British heartland they'd have a whale of a time

-An anonymous reader posted an interesting point. They stated that "the issue is the cost of travelling across the Atlantic, which means only elite Americans generally come here and it's London they visit, which clearly has its flaws. If the regular folks from the American heartland came here and visited the British heartland then I'm sure they'd have a whale of a time."

We are complete Anglophiles

-Sarah Ferrar, a reader of Telegraph UK, says she remembers a trip she took in the 1970s with her mother. "When I was 20 years old, my mother and I flew into Heathrow, rented an automobile and immediately left London and spent several weeks travelling around the British Isles - going up as far as Skye and far down as Bath. It was just lovely. In 2000, one of my daughters and I retraced that trip, although a bit modified. We are complete Anglophiles."

The weather is not a problem

-Another American reader of Telegraph UK is Carol Partridge. "I am an American and have never found a reason to complain about anything! The pubs are perfect for a nice glass of wine and a bite to eat. The weather is the weather and not a problem. My accommodations are comfortable, the Tube and buses get me wherever I need to go. If, when I visited, there is a strike, I rearrange plans (I get TFL emails, so I plan accordingly)."

England will always be my second home

-Telegraph reader Blair Nelsen talks about how he lived in Newmarket, Suffolk "for five years in the 1980s." He continued. "England, with all its charm, character and eccentricities, will always be my second home. Now, if only I could find a good ploughman's platter and a pint of bitter..."

No comments:

Post a Comment