Life is what happens when you are making other plans~ John Lennon
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind~Gandhi
The time is always right to do what is right~ Martin Luther King Jr.


Sunday, November 25, 2018

Judas Priest Albums-Worst to Best

I'm a huge Judas Priest fan. I love most of their albums, but there are some that I would not listen to simply because I don't care for the music of that album. According to Ultimate Classic Rock, here are the Judas Priest Albums-Worst to Best.
17
Demolition (2001)
-This is the second and last album that Judas Priest had made with American vocalist Tim "Ripper" Owens. The band had found him in a Judas Priest tribute band called British Steel. Overall, this album was said to be less than successful
-My opinion: I simply didn't care for it. I understand Tim had some big shoes to fill and he certainly exceeded expectations. But I just simply didn't care for the music of this album

16
Nostradamus (2008)
-This album was a bomb from the beginning. Expecting kids in the 21st century, especially kids who happen to be rabid Priest fans, to sit down and devote two hours to Priest's first full fledged concept album is like asking little kids to sit still for two hours without moving or making sounds. This album was a disaster. The songs were long, the concepts in the songs were unable to be understood.
-My opinion: Just weird and not good

15
Jugulator (1997)
-This was the band's first album with Tim "Ripper" Owens. This album fared far better than the second album, Demolition. This is, by far, the band's heaviest album. With the vocals of front man Tim "Ripper" Owens, this is definitely better.
-My opinion: It was good

14
Point of Entry (1981)
-Due to a busy touring schedule and expectations of topping British Steel, these guys may have rushed through the production process. Although this album did produce some good tracks like "Hot Rockin'" and"Heading Out to the Highway"
-My opinion: I like this album. I think it's good. I might have to go back and re-listen to it, though. I have to say that "Desert Plains" is a great track

13
Turbo (1986)
-The band was experimenting with and using the latest tech-guitar synths. This band may have alienated some Priest fans, but they gained even more fans, even fans who had gotten swept up in the hair metal craze
-My opinion: I like this album. I have it at home and I listen to it very often. It's great. The songs are great!

12
Ram It Down (1988)
-This album tends to be overlooked by a lot of fans. A lot of fans don't give it much credit; they simply refer to it as being almost like Turbo Mark II. The band did, however, do an impressive cover of the Chuck Berry song "Johnny B. Goode".
-My opinion: I like it. I have it at home. It's good

11
Rocka Rolla (1974)
-No one ever says that a band's first album out of the starting gate is going to be good. That said, this album is hardly any of the stuff people will come to associate with the future black leather and studs band. This band still had a touch or two of folk rock and hard rock. They were still trying to find the right sound here
-My opinion: I simply didn't care for it

10
Redeemer of Souls (2014)
-This album is one of their heaviest albums they've ever made since Jugulator. It almost has you wanting to bang your head to each song
-My opinion: I didn't care for it. The songs sounded too much like something Iron Maiden would write about-mythology, history, etc. The subsequent tour for this album is the tour me and my sister had seen Judas Priest on, when they had the Saturday night headline slot at the 2015 Rock on the Range festival in Columbus, Ohio.

9
Angel of Retribution (2005)
-When you look at the artwork for this album and then look at the artwork for the album Sad Wings of Destiny, it's like two sides of the same coin. The artwork for this album has an almost evil looking mechanical angel, looking like he is there to wreak havoc upon all. This album is said to be successful because of the three way writing team of Halford/Tipton/Downing
-My opinion: I didn't care for it.

8
Sin After Sin (1977)
-This album did boast an impressive heavy metal overhaul of the Joan Baez classic "Diamonds and Rust". This was when the band was just getting off the ground. It was their third studio album and they were struggling to find a permanent drummer since they were just "borrowing" a studio drummer named Simon Phillips. The band were still getting their chemistry together
-My opinion: "Diamonds and Rust" is a good song

7
Hell Bent for Leather (1978)
-This album is what transformed Judas Priest into the studded black leather, Harley Davidson riding, heavy metal machine they were to become
-My opinion: My sister loves the title track. I made the mistake of letting my sister listen to Judas Priest and now she says this is her favorite song. She's a full fledged Priest fan! As for the album, there are a few good tracks here and there
6
Defenders of the Faith (1984)
-This album was seriously underrated due to the success of 1982's Screaming for Vengeance. One thing you might notice about Judas Priest is that on some albums, they will have a creature of some sort. Here is no different. They have a half-tank, half-lion creation. This album tracks that are just a sonic assault to the ears, such as "Freewheel Burning", "Love Bites", "The Sentinel".
-My opinion: I like "Freewheel Burning" and "Love Bites"

5
Painkiller (1990)
-With the specter of grunge looming on the horizon, just waiting for the first opportunity to take over, the men of Priest were trying to prove they were still successful. Unfortunately, what took some wind out of their sails was a seriously long trial about two kids who killed themselves and blamed it on Judas Priest having backwards messages in their songs. But, despite the trouble, the band came through with flying colors, only this time around, they had a new drummer. An American drummer named Scott Travis, previously of Racer X fame
-My opinion: I like it. I have to re-listen to it, but I like it

4
Sad Wings of Destiny (1976)
-This was when Priest was still getting off the ground. Their doom-laden sound, which would not sound out of place at a Black Sabbath concert, is what made this album unique. This album did, however, help Judas Priest get a little fame with tracks like "Victim of Changes", "Tyrant", "Genocide".
-My opinion: A little too Black Sabbath-y for me. I like Black Sabbath, always have, always will. But I really don't care for the doom and gloom sound here

3
Screaming for Vengeance (1982)
-When you think of 80s era Judas Priest, you might think of Screaming for Vengeance, then again, you may not, who knows. This album is jam packed with great tracks like "You Got Another Thing Comin'", "Fever", "Electric Eye", "Screaming for Vengeance" "Riding on the Wind" "Take These Chains", "Bloodstone". It's awesome!
-My opinion: I have this album and I love it. I do find myself repeating "Fever" a few times more than I should. It's a good song!

2
Stained Class (1978)
-This is their definitive 1970s album. Many old school Priest fans will cite this album as their favorite album. This album helped the band add even more heavy metal monsters to their increasingly long career. Tracks like "Beyond the Realms of Death", "Exciter" are enough to form anyone into a Priest fan
-My opinion: I like it. "Exciter" and "Beyond the Realms of Death" are good songs

1
British Steel (1980)
-This is their trademark album. You ask any Priest fan what album they think of when they hear Judas Priest and odds are going to be that British Steel is what comes out. This album added some of the more famous tracks to the leather-bound metallers, like "Living After Midnight", "Breaking the Law", "Metal Gods", tracks that get played live at Judas Priest shows to this day!
-My opinion: I like it. A lot of good songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment